If you’re reading this page, you probably have some idea of what a toaster oven is good for. However, it’s possible that there are some great benefits to owning a toaster oven that you haven’t thought of. If you don’t have a toaster oven in your kitchen, you’re probably used to using your conventional oven. What if you live in a tiny apartment or are staying in a college dorm, though? It’s possible that you don’t even have room for a regular oven. Modern toaster ovens are a great addition to any home, and many models can replace almost all of the utility of your regular oven.
I’ve compiled a list of things you might not have considered regarding toaster ovens:
- Size — A toaster oven is, by design, a very small unit that takes up a very little amount of counter space. Like I mentioned earlier, this can be a lifesaver if you live in an apartment or dorm with a small or non-existent kitchen. Some toaster ovens, like the Black & Decker TROS1500 are designed to be installed under-the-counter, making for the most space saving design possible.
- Heat — As you are probably well aware, conventional toaster ovens give off a tremendous amount of heat. This can be particularly brutal in the summer months, when it is already very hot without the help of an oven pumping more heat into your home. Conversely, toaster ovens generally give off much less heat simply by virtue of the way they’re designed. Why have your air conditioning cranked when you’re trying to bake in the summer when a toaster oven can get the job done without giving off nearly as much heat?
- Energy Efficiency — Even the top, all-purpose toaster ovens consume far less electricity than a standard oven. Because a toaster oven is much smaller, it also cooks much more quickly, which in turn causes it to use less electricity. If you’re trying to be environmentally conscious or just want to lower your utility bill a bit, a toaster oven can help you do it.
- Utility — The high-end convection toaster ovens can do almost all of the things your regular oven can do. Not only can you bake cakes, various casseroles and of course, pizzas, but a large enough toaster oven, like the Breville BOV800XL, can even cook a full-sized chicken. Not only this, but they can make a nice quick breakfast in the morning, such as things like toast & bagels.
- Cost — Even the most expensive toaster oven is far cheaper than the cheapest conventional oven. You can expect to pay at least $1000 for a decent conventional oven, while a great toaster oven will run you about $150. Considering the toaster oven can do almost anything the regular oven can, this is a great value.
- Kid-Friendly — If you have kids that want to learn how to cook themselves, a toaster oven is the perfect thing for them. Most of them are simple enough that even young (but responsible) children can easily be taught to use them. Making simple things like toast or bagels, or reheating leftovers is usually very easy, and safe, to boot.
There are so many upsides to having a toaster oven, but these are the main benefits. No matter what your needs are, there is certainly a model on the market that will fill them. Be sure to read our toaster oven reviews before making a purchase to be sure you find the perfect one for you.