The Oster TSSTTVMNDG (now that’s a mouthful!) is a large-capacity toaster oven that is designed to be useful for large families. Since this is a convection toaster oven, it distributes heat throughout the interior of the oven, giving the ability to thoroughly cook a large range of food items. Sure, this toaster oven can cook a lot of different things, but does it do it well? I’m going to take an in-depth look at this toaster oven and give you the real scoop on whether or not it’s worth your money.
Oster TSSTTVMNDG — The Overview
- Dimensions — 22.5″ x 18.1″ x 14.6″ & 20.3 pounds
- Large interior; holds up to a 13″ x 9″ pan
- Temperature Range — 150 – 450 degrees
- Slice Capacity — 6 slices
- Controls — Easy-to-use digital controls give precise and convenient control over heat, cooking time, etc.
- Functions — Bake, convection bake, toast, broil, defrost, pizza, warm
- Timer — 90-minute cooking timer with automatic shutdown
- Includes — Removable crumb tray, high-quality baking pan, interior light, 2 rack positions
- Convection — Yes
Cooking With the Oster TSSTTVMNDG
The Oster TSSTTVMNDG is a very versatile machine capable of cooking a wide range of food products thanks to its very large interior. This is a 6-slice toaster oven, and can fit a standard 9 x 13″ pan as long as they don’t have extra handles on the sides.
This toaster oven gets a lot of praise for its cooking ability from user reviews. In fact, I haven’t seen a single complaint about it. The convection fan coupled with the large interior gives you the option to cook almost anything you want with it. For example, cooking a full-sized chicken is a simple task, especially thanks to the built-in convection functionality. Cooking things like pizza, fries, biscuits, chops, and any other type of food will come out perfectly if you use the oven properly, which is very easy to do.
Thanks to the digital controls, it’s very easy to set up and use the Oster TSSTTVMNDG. It also has an automatic 90-minute shutoff timer if you fail to set one yourself. If you set a cooking timer, the oven will automatically turn itself off when the time is up, and then emit a loud beep to let you know. What’s great about this toaster oven is that once you figure out the proper way to cook something with it, you can do it very easily every time; simply set it up, and let it cook with no need to check on it all the time.
There are a number of different cooking functions built into the Oster TSSTTVMNDG, which include:
- Bake, the standard baking option that does not use the convection fan.
- Convection bake, which obviously is similar to the bake function, except uses the convection fan.
- Broil, for boiling meats like poultry, ham, and fish.
- Defrost, for thawing frozen foods.
- Pizza, a pre-set pizza baking function.
- Warm, a setting for warming up leftovers or simply keeping a meal warm.
- Toast, the setting for toasting things like bagels and bread.
Being a large convection toaster oven, it’s not exactly aimed toward toasting, although it does make pretty good toast, as well. You’ll probably have to experiment with the toasting function a little bit in order to figure out how to use it best, but once you do that you should be able to make great toast with it.
All in all, this is an excellent oven for those that want to be able to use their toaster oven as an affordable oven replacement.
The Oster TSSTTVMNDG Safety Features
You will probably be happy to know that the Oster TSSTTVMNDG doesn’t get overly hot on the exterior; it’s about the same as any other toaster oven. What’s nice is that the handles stay cool to the touch, so you don’t have to worry about burning yourself when moving it around.
As previously mentioned, the TSSTTVMNDG has a great cooking timer, which adds a lot to the safety of the oven, as well. You can set a timer of up to 90 minutes, and when the time is up, the oven will automatically shut down. Even if you fail to set a cooking timer, it will still shut itself off after 90 minutes. This greatly reduces the risk of burned food or fires, which is always good. There were a few minor complaints about the automatic 90 minute timer, but that shouldn’t be a big deal unless you’re doing a lot of baking throughout the day, in which case you can simply reset the timer.
The Oster TSSTTVMNDG has a very handy interior light that makes it easy to see inside. This isn’t something found in every toaster oven, so it’s a welcome find in this model. A few users complained about the fact that the light comes on automatically no matter which setting you use, but it can be easily turned off if this bothers you.
One small issue with the clock…
An odd issue that is prevalent in some Oster TSSTTVMNDG models is that the clock slowly loses accuracy over time, needing to be be reset about once per month. It will probably lose a second or two of time per day, and I’m not entirely sure why this happens, but I’ve seen more than one person complain about it. Of course, it’s not a huge issue, as you can easily reset the timer yourself, but it’s something to keep in mind.
Oster TSSTTVMNDG Pros & Cons
- Excellent cooking ability gives you the option to cook almost anything
- Great digital controls and timer make it simple to use
- Handles stay cool to the touch
- Surprisingly great price
- Clock slowly becomes inaccurate by a few seconds per day; needs to be reset monthly
- Fits a standard 9 x 13″ baking pan, but only if it doesn’t have extra handles
I’d recommend the Oster TSSTTVMNDG to…
- People who want a very affordable countertop oven that can cook almost anything
- People that want something that can be used as a full-sized oven replacement
Conclusion: Is the Oster TSSTTVMNDG Worth Your Money?
If you want a convection toaster oven that is extremely versatile, then: yes! The Oster TSSTTVMNDG is an excellent toaster oven that a lot of people love, and if you want something that can cook anything you can throw at it, then I think you will love it, too. It’s so nice to be able to cook a meal without heating up a full-sized oven and in turn, your kitchen.
The only complaints I had about this toaster oven were minor: the fact that the clock slowly becomes inaccurate over time being the worst. I think that the great cooking functionality and built-in features like the cooking timer, interior light, and of course the versatility more than outweigh the cons, though.
I would whole-heatedly recommend this toaster oven!
Where Can I Find the Best Deal on the Oster TSSTTVMNDG?
Best Price Found: As of Sunday, Feb 14, 2016 the Oster TSSTTVMNDG Toaster Oven on Amazon has free shipping and a large discount from the regular store price.