The Cuisinart TOB-40 Classic Toaster Oven Broiler is a brand new toaster oven that has been quickly climbing up the best-seller charts; in fact, it’s currently the #1 best selling toaster oven on Amazon, with a rating of 4.3/5.0, which is exceptionally high. Let’s take a look at this new toaster oven and find out exactly why it’s become such a popular toaster oven in the short amount of time it’s been available.
Cuisinart TOB-40 Product Overview & Specifications
- Dimensions — 15.9″ x 11.8″ x 7.9″
- Weight — 18 pounds
- Slice Capacity — 6 slices
- Power Draw — 1800 watts
- Included Accessories — Broiling rack, baking/drip pan, wire rack, front-removable slide-out crumb tray
- Programmable Cooking Timer — No
- Convection — No
You might note that the Cuisinart TOB-40 does not come with a user-programmable cooking timer of any kind. The toasting function is automatic and will automatically shut the toaster oven off when the cycle is complete, and it does have an auto-shutoff if you accidentally leave the oven unattended. If you are troubled by the lack of a user-programmable cooking timer, it can easily be remedied by purchasing an external cooking timer which can be found very inexpensively.
The Cuisinart TOB-40 Is Excellent For Any Kind of Toasting
Being a toaster oven without a convection feature, the Cuisinart TOB-40 is expressly designed for being a toaster oven for toasting and broiling. The great news is that it is excellent at this, and a lot of owners really loved how well it works for toasting. What’s unique to the Cuisinart TOB-40 is that it has a special feature called a shade control monitor that helps you get the precise amount of toasting on your bread every time you use it. You can basically just set and forget the toaster oven and it will make perfect toast for you every time by means of automatic internal temperature adjustment. Some toaster ovens, especially budget models, are not great at toasting because they put it on the back burner, so to speak. The TOB-40 has made great toasting a priority, and that’s something a lot of people will appreciate.
Everybody wants to be able to make a perfect slice of toast in their toaster oven, and the Cuisinart TOB-40 can do exactly that without drying it out. No matter what you want to toast inside this toaster oven, be it toast, bagels, open-face sandwiches, etc. The interior of the TOB-40 is quick to heat up, and doesn’t require any preheating to make great toast every time.
Making toast is dead simple with the Cuisinart TOB-40:
- First, you set the function dial to the “toast” setting.
- Choose the shade of toast you prefer
- Push the “start” button, and the toaster oven will beep 5 times to let you know that it’s starting
That’s it; the TOB-40 will do everything else itself, including moderating the internal temperature to get you your perfect toast.
This toaster oven is also quite adequate for small baking. One user of this model mentioned that they made great baked potatoes with it, although they cooked them in a regular microwave for the first half, and then cooked them to completion with the TOB-40. A toaster oven favorite for many people is a small, personal pizza, and the TOB-40 is also very nice for this, too.
Although the Cuisinart TOB-40 isn’t a huge toaster oven, nor does it have a convection function, it’s still very good for cooking small foods and reheating, on top of its excellent toasting functionality.
Safety Features of the Cuisinart TOB-40 — Avoid Burning Yourself
A common issue with toaster ovens is that they tend to get very hot on the exterior, which can lead to burning yourself, or even worse, fires. The Cuisinart TOB-40 has a few safety featured built into it that make it safer to use than many of the other budget-priced toaster ovens.
- Fixes a Handle Flaw in the TOB-155 and TOB-195 — Unlike the TOB-155 and TOB-195, which have an unfortunate flaw built into them that causes the chrome of the handle to get very hot when it’s in use, the handle of the TOB-40 is specifically designed to stay cool to the touch even when it’s in use, so you can be sure that you won’t suffer any burns when you try to open it.
- Bumper legs in the back — There are also bumper legs built into the back of the unit to keep it away from the wall or anything else that may catch fire. This makes the toaster oven take up a little more space than it would without the legs, but it adds a lot of safety to it, which is a good trade-off.
- Auto rack pull-out — The interior rack of the Cuisinart TOB-40 is engineered so that opening the door of the toaster oven will automatically pull the rack out, eliminating the need for you to manually pull it out, which is a potential burn hazard.
Of course, like I mentioned earlier, the Cuisinart TOB-40 does not have a cooking timer built into it at all. This could possibly be a safety concern if you happened to forget that you had put something inside to cook, but you can always purchase an after-market cooking timer.
Even with the lack of a cooking timer, the other safety features found in the TOB-40 are much appreciated and add a lot to this toaster oven.
It’s Easy to Clean the Cuisinart TOB-40
The Cuisinart TOB-40 is easy to clean (and keep clean) thanks to several smart design decisions by the engineers at Cuisinart.
- No heat shields on the heating elements — This may sound like a negative, but it’s actually very good for keeping the toaster oven clean. If a toaster oven has shields on the heating elements, they will quickly become coated with gunk that is the result of cooking. With the TOB-40, this gunk will burn off instead of baking itself onto the heat shields, which makes for a very difficult mess to clean off.
- Great crumb tray — A lot of customers liked how the crumb tray of the TOB-40 covers the entire bottom of the unit, and leaves absolutely no chance for crumbs to get under the tray or elsewhere. This isn’t found in every toaster oven, so it’s appreciated here. You’ll also be happy to know that the crumb tray easily removes from the front of the TOB-40, making it very simple to clean out. Another thumbs up here.
Pros & Cons of the Cuisinart TOB-40
- Great price; very affordable
- Excellent toasting capability; some of the best found at this price point
- Easy to clean and use; auto pull-out rack is very convenient
- No user-programmable cooking timer, only pre-programmed toasting settings and a safety auto shutoff timer; use a cheap external cooking timer to remedy this
The Conclusion — Is the Cuisinart TOB-40 Worth Purchasing?
When it comes down to it, the Cuisinart TOB-40 is an excellent, low-priced toaster oven that’s perfect for toasting thanks to the great toasting features built into it. It’s not well-built for heavy-duty cooking or baking due to the lack of a convection fan, but it does toast food excellently. While it doesn’t have a cooking timer built into it, I would recommend purchasing an external cooking timer to use along with it, just as a precautionary measure.
If you’re looking for a toaster oven that is primarily designed for toasting of bread, bagels, and sandwiches, the Cuisinart TOB-40 stands out among the others in its price range. It comes highly recommended from us!
Special Deal Alert: A great deal on the Cuisinart TOB-40 Custom Classic Toaster Oven Broiler can be found at Amazon which includes free shipping and nearly 50% off retail price!